Thursday, August 11, 2011

Fried Zucchini Spaghetti

I've posted my recipe for fried zucchini and mushrooms here before.
Well, I saw Gwyneth Paltrow on Rachael Ray Monday, and she
made this awesome-sounding recipe that was similar to mine,
plus noodles!  She cooks it as a main dish, but you could also
add chicken or use it as a side to pork chops.  It's so awesome.
I played a bit, adding mushrooms and onions and not adding
basil.  And it was DE-LISH!!  Super easy and quick, too.


Fried Zucchini (& Mushroom) Spaghetti

Ingredients

  • ¾ pound (¾ box) spaghetti
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 3-5 zucchini, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour (*I've cooked it without the flour)
  • ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
  • **I add onion and mushrooms too... just cuz I love it!
  • [orig. recipe calls for handful fresh basil leaves, but I don't use these]
---

Preparation

Boil the spaghetti in salted water until just al dente. Meanwhile, toss the zucchini with flour. Heat the ¼ cup of olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium/med-high heat and add zucchini (*orig. recipe directs you to cook in single layer, but I like to fry all together, slowly, to soften.) *If I'm including onion and mushrooms, I cook these together with the zucchini.  Cook, stirring occasionally, til slightly browned and a little crispy, about 4 minutes or to your desired texture. Remove the zucchini to a plate and sprinkle with coarse salt.
-
(The original recipe directs you now to mix most of the parm with some oil and pasta water to creamy texture, but my cheese clumped up, so I did it as follows:)
Add small bit of oil and zucchini to noodles, add parm and mix.  Season with S&P.
To serve, portion the pasta into four shallow bowls and evenly distribute the rest of the zucchini on top of each, along with a couple of gratings of Parmesan.

2 comments:

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue said...

I made this and it was yummy. I kept some water left over from cooking the noodles in to make it more saucy. (learned this from Giada)

Thanks Britt